Saturday, July 22, 2006

Beauty in a Mouse's Eye

Hedy Lamarr was beautiful. All the rest of the "stars" -- including many with more talent -- were (and are) almost beautiful. To the Mouse, some of the modern "beauties" don't even come that close. You take Uma Thurman and that gal whose name I always suppress -- the one who played Erin Brockavich and the "Pretty Woman" -- for my money, they're just actresses, not beauties. Something about the Thurman gal looks weird to me. And I don't mean her anorexic frame. And that other woman's mouth is so big it distorts her face into something resembling a harlequin's mask. [What's her name? If I keep writing sentences that ought to contain her name, maybe it'll come to me.]

I recall the first time I saw Hedy Lamarr's face on the big screen. T'was in a movie about a bunch of stage struck young ladies, the one in which Katherine Hepburn delivered the famous line about the jonquils. The director must have known that Hedy's beauty was the sort that would bore itself into every adolescent's eternal soul. He had the camera pause just for a moment, giving us a view of the back of Miss Lamarr's head. But then, suddenly, she turned full face -- not it seemed to the camera -- but to me and every male child in the universe.

Well, no ... it wasn't that movie at all. That was "Stage Door," a great flick, at least for the 30's. I don't remember the name of the movie in which Hedy Lamarr first turned her face into mine. Maybe it wasn't a movie at all, but a montage of a dream in which I selected the face that launched my ships and directed it to turn, just at the proper moment, to create an explosion of passion that would endure forever.

[Merciful heavens, Mouse! Have you no decency?]

It has been a different sort of week. Milady has been away at a get-together of Unitarians, down at VPI in Blacksburg. She attends every year, leaving me to tend the garden and feed the cat. [Hmmm, cat just heard her name, stuck a hand up and pawed my arm to remind me that it's about that time. She has yellowish eyes that can plead with the best of them.] I've been emailing old friends I haven't heard from in centuries, taking the edge off emptiness. Been trying to come to grips with growing old.

One of my friends -- of the younger type -- told me that the reason young people "don't like old people is because old people have forgotten how to have fun." Boy, that cut deeply. I'm sure she didn't mean that she doesn't like me -- everybody loves the Mouse! -- but that when young people and old people start talking about fun things to do, they find themselves talking about different things. [Hedy Lamarr died in 2000.] The beach, for instance. When I was young sand was a good thing, and sun, too. My friend Charlie and I used to hitchhike 60 miles (each way) to go to the Gulf beach. We'd come home tired and perhaps sunburned, but the beach was still fun.

But the beach must not have been a "thing of beauty," 'cause a trip to the beach now seems like anything but a joy. [My gosh ... it says here Hedy was born in 1913; was she that much older than me? Nineteen years?] He and I also used to go blackberry picking, out by Hartwell Field, where for some reason the city had dumped big slabs of concrete; the vines took over the place, and in no time we would fill our pails with the luscious berries. I cannot believe today that we actually did that for fun. Last week, while mowing the "back forty," I discovered a profuse growth of wineberries on our "estate." (They look like blackberries, but are red and smaller.) Milady and I picked several bowlsful of the things. They went well with our morning cereal, but picking them was a chore, not something I would do for fun.

Still, it does seem there ought to be something young and old people could talk about, or do together, that both would regard as fun. I'm tempted to think there might be the old standby, sex, but that's kind of forbidden territory, especially for old folks only a few years younger than Hedy Lamarr. Back in the 70's, when the practice of rich old men taking on "trophy wives" was just catching on, we less-than-rich types used a phrase to describe them. We called them "dirty old men." I guess, then, that even if we might admit that the pleasure of sex would hardly die in healthy old people -- I speak with more authority for the male of the species -- the whole glamorous experience that sex once was when we were young has lost at least a tad of its beauty. Hard to think we might still link the joy of sex with the romantic graces that only (it seems) the blush of youth can lend to the occasion. Still, I suppose the young and the old can speak of sex as if they were talking about the same thing. Some memories die only when we cease to be.

Hedy was supposedly married to the lecherous band leader, Artie Shaw. I refuse to believe it. (And it's actually not true. I had her confused with Lana Turner, an "almost.") Her beauty belonged to no one, and to everyone. It had "staying quality." I hope they never print a picture of her as she must have looked just before she died. She would have been 87. Beauty like her's should never be permitted to die.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary Lois said...

This is going to be a difficult post to get a comment one, but since you touch on pop culture and not philosophic ramblings in rarefied air, I feel I should say something. I don't know which movie showed the back of Lamarr's head, but the famous one was White Savage in which she wore a sarong and played the island girl Tondelao. She slithered onto the set in her most exotically beautiful sexiness and uttered the deathless line. "Me Tondelao. Me good girl. Me stay here." A famous critic, let's say it was George S. Kaufman, had been forced to attend the original Broadway production of the play, which was excruciatingly bad -- I don't know whether or not Lamarr was in it. After the line, he stood up and said, "Me George S. Kaufman, me bad boy, me go home." and left the theatre.

Glad you found that she wasn't in Stage Door. That one had almost everybody else, but I don't think she'd been discovered yet.

Sat Jul 22, 12:27:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Mary Lois said...

Minor oops -- this is my day for 'em. I just looked up White Savage and that was a different flick of about the same period. Hedy Lamarr was in White Cargo!

Hope you've recalled Julia Roberts' name by now. Lots of duende, I'd say (see my blog for info) but not what you'd call beauty. How about Charlize Theron or Keira Knightly?

Sat Jul 22, 12:40:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have excellent taste in women's beauty,Hedy Lamarr is beautiful.I remember watching her in a movie with my grandfather,Samson and Delilah (1949)but back then movies were so much more dramatic than now-a-days.None of the women that you mouse or Miss FF mentioned are beautiful in my books.Here are beautiful women according to me:Angela Bassett,Catherine Zeta-Jones ,and Halle Berry. Not only are these ladies beautiful but they also have class.

In my age group many of my women acquantices prefer older men because they are more mature and experienced than boys in their 20s.

IMO A lot of mentoring goes on between older men and younger women. If one has ambitions of a career with rapid advancement, the contacts and pillow talk of a mature and successful man can be a real education.

All of us have our ideals about just what we want in our *perfect*friend.The word experience is The key, because I think it is essential to being sensitive to another. I think that when someone has experienced life in its various forms, the downs as well as the ups, and has survived that process then there is a process of moral and spiritual growth at work, as
our ideas about the world and other people are tested and re-shaped in
light of experience. For those who can stay open, they will grow and
become better people as they age. When older people relize they can offer this to younger people then the friendship can grow.

Sun Jul 23, 04:05:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To have a beautiful young lady hanging on to every word I spoke would be pure delight,how much more could one old man ask for?

I am 70 and my GD is 28 and we have fun,not hitch-hiking or going to the beach,ah how tiring that would be for an old soul.

She actually keeps my mind young,we talk and discuss everything,we pop-pop corn-together,watch old movies,laugh,even go shopping at Wal-Mart. We go for drives,eat dinner out and she tries to beat me playing chess.Of course we are related but I enjoy the stares as we walk arm in arm together in public places.

Sun Jul 23, 05:14:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Benedict S. said...

Robin: Your place or mine? (Winkie face)

Your ideas are on target, but the hormonal pool appears to operate in a way that favors youth over experience. Perhaps that's for the best in this Panglossian best of all possible worlds. Still, I just love September Song and was heart broken when I learned that the septuagenarian Peter Stuyvesant who sang the song to a young lady still in her teens was the villain of the piece.

John (America): Hmmm. A trophy granddaughter. I have one of those. Unfortunately, she lives way over in San Diego and my opportunities to show her off come too far between.

Mon Jul 24, 05:08:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well mouse,my place of course,lol.As far as the hormonal pool to operate in a way that favors youth over experience goes back to evolution.

So we've become -- in less than 100 years or so -- creatures of books, rather than creatures of biology? Have we not taken (countless) years to come this far, only to RADICALLY alter human nature in the blink of an eye?
Are we are trying to become more civilized today than we were
yesterday? We are TRYING to alter our hard wiring artificially by imposing un-natural laws upon human beings. And it all comes from society,religion and government.


Isn't sex a natural normal part of being human regardless of age?

Mon Jul 24, 03:49:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Mon Jan 04, 01:18:00 AM 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home