Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Mendacious Account of a Mouse-changing Moment

If none of this [aimless behavior of an insane Mouse] leads you to question your belief in the sanity of God’s created world, perhaps you ought to step back for a moment and try to see the world, not as it is (whatever that is), but as I saw it, as the poet saw it when he cowered there on the pier as the only character in a story written by the events of his own history. Try to see the world as the coffin that it is, for that’s what the poet saw when he and a hundred others stood one moonless night on the concrete pier, watching your sane world, without a thought in its head, deliver of its blue-white perfect self a blood-red sky bending from the rim of the earth toward the starry zenith. The apparition, too real to be the product of deluded eyes, spread its lunatic glare from edge to edge of the northern sky, filling the air with the promise of certain death. Many of the people on the pier were sorely afraid, some crying, shedding repentant tears and beseeching deliverance from their risen Messiah.

Ignorant of the cause of the coloring sky, the curious poet imagined the swamp lands, and perhaps all the lands north of Mobile were burning. The horizon seemed ablaze, the red glow slowly creeping upward as the inferno swallowed the world. The poet felt no fear, only a morbid satisfaction. This is good, he thought, the end of civilization, a new kind of end, an end to the embarrassment of dying alone.

But a girl, standing apart from the crowd, seemed to feel no fear, a beautiful girl dressed in red, with course dark hair, eyes of deep-ocean darkness, lips tinted by the burning sky. She stood at the edge of the pier nearest the approaching holocaust, a red knit cap pulled loosely over her ears, hair hanging in straight lines from beneath the cap and pushed forward across her shoulders. She was tall for a girl, with delicate hands softly lying on the railing of the concrete pier, hands as gentle as the touch of Aurora’s breath.

“It’s the Northern Lights,” she said, whispering so only he could hear. “They’re seldom seen this far south.”

Their eyes met, and without thinking to do so, he smiled, the accidental smile happening first, the thought that it might serve to make her believe that he knew all along the nature of the blazing sky, distantly second.

“You’re the man at the school aren’t you?” she asked. “I saw you on the porch last week, reading Spinoza.”

His mother worked as the live-in manager of the dormitory and dining room of Fairhope’s famous private school; and, yes, he supposed he was, “the man at the school,” but only looked at the girl in disbelief.

“What do you do there all day? Just read?”

It was summer. All the dormitory rooms were vacant, except the one he occupied.

“Read? Yes. Just read.”

She moved closer and looked north into Aurora’s light. “It came before. Ten years ago. Mrs. Horne told us about it. I’m not so bright; I just remembered her words.”

“Mrs. Horne?”

“She teaches at the school, history and anything else they ask. She knows everything.”

Yes, Mrs. Horne. His mother had spoken of her. A bright woman, three grown children. A Unitarian. His mother distrusted Unitarians.

“Do you go there?” he asked. The words crept out. She was too young, he thought, to be feeling about him what she seemed to be feeling.

She paused for a moment and cocked one eyebrow, as though deciding whether to answer him truthfully.

“Yes,” she said. “This will be my last year.” She lowered her eyes and asked: “Don’t you want to know how I knew you were reading Spinoza?”

When she first mentioned the book, the question crossed his mind but passed through without leaving an impression.

“Yes, how did you know?”

She smiled impishly. “Your mother told me.” Then she turned abruptly and, with no apparent further interest in the Aurora Borealis, walked from the pier, proceeded up the steep hill ascending from the beach, and disappeared.


Perhaps you see nothing unusual about a manifestation of the Aurora Borealis ten miles north of the Gulf of Mexico; nothing unusual about a beautiful girl feeling an instant affection for a relatively plain looking insane man; nothing unusual about a man standing in the darkness of an accidental planet welcoming destruction for himself and all of humankind; nothing strange that the softness of the touch of the girl’s voice suddenly turned the man away from thoughts of eternal silence.

If you thought those things, you’d be right. There’s nothing at all unusual in any of that. This kind of miracle happens somewhere on Earth every minute of every hour of every day. Nothing unusual at all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Lois said...

Another birthday greeting! Thanks, mouse!

Sun May 28, 01:00:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej Mouse, great piece. After wishing ff a Happy Birthday and musing on Jung’s concept of synchronicity and it’s encounter with the famed Swedish Bureaucracy, the results of which made me five days younger and officially realigned my birthday from the 23rd of May to the 28th to match hers, I got to thinking of another piece of synchronicity in that my grandfather on my mother’s side was also named Dixon. He was originally a coal miner from the town of Spring Hill in Nova Scotia. There are still a number of Dixon’s still living there. I think he would have loved blogging, as he was a news hound with an interest in all things. He had a sharp mind and we both enjoyed mentally sparring on just about everything. He was a good man and if he were alive today I would have turned him on to your site.

Sun May 28, 10:29:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Benedict S. said...

Miss Finding: No, no, no . . . Thank you.

Mon May 29, 06:53:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Benedict S. said...

John S: When I was a Jung man, chasing the girls . . .

Your grandpere (is that a word?) sounds like what real people ought to be. My Dad graduated -- with honors, he said -- from the second grade, went off to war against the Kaiser, and was mustered out a sergeant. He was a very bright man.

The synchronicity? Just yesterday I was warching the last part of To Hell and Back, the story of Audie Murphy's heroism agsinst the Kaiser's heirs. After one of his escapades of bravery, an officer offered to recommend Murphy for West Point. Audie replied that he was "unqualified" because he "never got out of grade school."

Today is Memorial Day. Thanks Audie . . . and Dad.

Mon May 29, 07:03:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy BIrthday ff,nice to meet you.

John Sweden,what does Jung’s concept of synchronicity and it’s encounter with the famed Swedish Bureaucracy,have to do with each other? The way I understand synchronicity, "He [Jung] suggested that synchronistic phenomena may be more apparent when the level of consciousness is low (see abaissement du niveau
mental)"(A CRITICAL DICTIONARY OF JUNGIAN ANALYSIS, Andrew Samuels, pg
146-147) Am I missing something here?

Mon May 29, 06:32:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a letter home to my greatgrandparents from their son,Rex Oliver,my late grandfather,in WW11 from Germany.In honor of Memorial Day and all our great vets.

Nov 13 1943. Dear Folks, I got thru it o.k. & am able to write home all right on my 23rd birthday. I am not glad to be spending it on a foreign shore but I sure am glad to be able to spend it.
I had a few close shaves but I never so much as got a scratch.
Fritzie has got all he wants I reckon & we will soon be on our
way home. We may not quite all be home for Xmas. But I expect to
at least be pretty close. Don't expect any souvenirs of Germany,
France or England for I am not collecting any. When I get myself
back to old Virgina then I will be satisfied.
I haven't heard anything of Dick KIRLIN since I was transferred to this outfit.I don't know how he is getting along. Earnest HINDT was transferred to the Ordnance Dept about a week before I got transferred.
I was along where the big noise was on when the time came to stop. There was plenty of noise right up to the dot. When she stopped there was a hearty cheer went up from both sides of "no man's land." Every one was happy. I have had my plans laid for
a month or more about what I am going to do when I get home. I
expect I'll keep planning till I get there. I am going to farm
with you next year Dad unless Joe [GRAVETT, a brother-in-law]
already has things fixed up for him & I to keep on together. I
like it all right with him but my place is really at home until
I get hooked up & that may not be a great while.
I'll be home in a Couple Months. Lovingly,Rexie
pvt J. R.Oliver, Co. C 111 inf, A. E. F.

Mon May 29, 06:53:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home