Monday, May 29, 2006

No Lie, Just Fact

[The following is a slightly revised reprint of a piece that appeared several years ago as the lead article on the "Spinoza Net." I offer it on this Memorial Day as a much belated thank you to my father, a WW I soldier, who taught me to think for myself. The errors in my thinking are, of course, mine, not his. He had his own and on one or two occasions, tearfully confessed them to his favorite son.]

So far as I know my father never read a word out of a book, but he had about him an air that I would later come to call an aura of certainty. It wasn’t that he spouted off like a know-it-all. He just said things that sounded true. Take for example what he told me about higher education: “It’s learning what’s already been discovered, what’s already been written, already invented, so you can start where other people left off and not waste your time doing something that’s already been done.” See what I mean? My father’s pronouncement not only sounded true, but had a gracious little hook in it, one that maybe he put there for his oldest son to grab onto.

I never grabbed the hook, never got the higher education. Instead I went to work as a clerk at the L&N railroad where Dad was an engineer. But remembering his words—his hook—and liking the sound of doing something that hadn’t been done before, I decided to spend a part of my earnings on books, intending (by actually reading them) to educate myself about the state of all human knowing. Dad had forgotten to mention the part about specializing.

I had a plan. I was going to buy every one of the Random House Modern Library editions, read them all, master them all, and then set out to re-invent the world while “standing on the shoulders of [the] giants” Random House had selected for me to read.

My plan almost came to a halt before my first purchase. You see, there was this charming young lady standing in the Mobile [Alabama] Book Store, holding in her delicate little hands a copy of a book that purported to be about The Philosophy of Spinoza. I had never heard of Spinoza, but the name had a romantic sound to it, almost as alluring as the young lady’s ocean-blue eyes.

In violation of my bringing up I said something to the girl that was only superficially true: “I’ve never been able to understand Spinoza.”

The girl looked me over, appeared to be thinking about what I had said, and then, apparently having sized me up, sarcastically observed, “Figures.” She handed me the book and walked out of my life forever.

The book remained. It wasn’t at first Spinoza’s philosophy that drew me to him; I really was having a hard time understanding what he was talking about. What hooked me was the way the man himself lived his life. In the beautifully written introduction to the book, Joseph Ratner described how Spinoza had been sued over an inheritance, won the case, but then, in a gallant gesture, presented the inheritance to the plaintiff. This same man had earlier been offered a sizeable bribe by his religious community if he would recant his “heresy;” when he turned it down they excommunicated him. Later, after his fame had spread, Spinoza refused a prestigious position at the University of Heidelberg for fear that serving under an autocratic regime would inhibit his freedom to express his ideas. After being booted out of the religion he was born into, Spinoza lived the rest of his life in humble circumstances, earning his living as a lens grinder. He died owning the bed he slept in, a table, three chairs, the tools of his trade, and a small library.

But I would not want my admiration for Spinoza the man to mislead you. His ideas had an appeal of their own. (The irony was not lost upon me of the connection between lens grinding and writing philosophy, between seeing and seeing.) The excerpts from Spinoza’s Treatise on Theology and Politics in the book the young lady handed me blew like a freshening wind through my Southern Baptist mind, nurturing its doubts and misgivings. “[I]n interpreting Scripture...accept nothing as authoritative...which we do not perceive very clearly when we examine it in the light of its history.” [The Philosophy of Spinoza, Page 15] To my mother and all my aunts and uncles (but not my father) the words of Scripture were to be regarded as the truth simply because they appeared between the covers of the King James Bible. Spinoza gave my doubts a comfortable place to work themselves out.

In the decades following my encounter in the book store with the beautiful young lady, I struggled to understand Spinoza’s words. His proofs, stripped of their redundancies in Ratner’s abridgement, sometimes left me wondering what I was reading, but like the true believer I had become, I reasoned that all in due time I would see what I was then only seeing, that among the vast accumulation of Spinoza’s knowing of the first and second kinds building in my mind, knowing of the third kind—sub specie aeternitatis—would eventually emerge. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn’t. Like a “little worm in the bloodstream” (and perhaps like the apostle Paul) I know in part only those things I, as a part, can know; and feeling my “partness,” yet seeing the double-edged meaning of being a part of God, I grew in awe of that greater something which I imagine all people, even professing atheists, must acknowledge as the infinitude of Being. Spinoza claimed that, “the more we know of things, the more we know of God.” If that’s true, then to have learned those things I have been privileged to learn has been to worship at the only altar that makes sense to me as a place illumined by the light of God.

[All effects have causes, but some causes are more causative than others, and some effects more lasting.]

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard some really bad news this morning while I was at the shore.My son called from home to tell me that the son of a dear friend died in a car crash sometime in the early morning hours of this Memorial Day. I can't imagine the grief that my friends are feeling...
I had been noticing this kid lately; adolescences and the choices available to adolescents had taken him through some changes.I spoke with him last week after church, just to ask him how he was doing , to pat him on the back and to encourage him to hang in. He told me about some big plans he had for after graduation, he mentioned that he wanted to change his life and get away from a lifestyle that he recognized as destructive- and now he is gone.I wish it were a dream, I wish that some how I would get word that it is all some kind of mistake, but it isn't a mistake and there is nothing that can be done to reverse the terrible tragedy that is inherent in the loose of life, especially a young life ...
Some how perspective comes in these moments- something that surpasses judgement and a need to prove a point or to wag your finger in someone's face- a perspective that reminds us that we are all human, frail and subject to error, and a perspective that shows us that we are all at heart trying to do our best- despite our faults, despite our strenghths, despite our beliefs... I'm glad I spoke to that kid, and patted him on the back. I realize that our interaction didn't do him much good, but it means so much to me.
In the days and months ahead I hope I will learn to listen, and to bring comfort to those I come into contact with, I understand that there are no words that can possibly relieve the grief of my friends- if I knew them I would speak them...

God bless you mouse and thanks...

Mon May 29, 08:35:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CE. I was just quickly logging on before going to work to give Mouse a site address for a newsletter that I thought would be of interest of to his wife and read your letter. As a parent who lost his own, 18-year old, son in a car crash on New Years day 2002 your letter brought back a flood of memories. There is very little you can do for your friends except be the friend that you are and share with them your positive images and thoughts of their son. I’m glad that you kept writing, as your letter made me a little more committed to the purpose of the day. I work at youth center and each day I strive to give our young people the same adult recognition of their hope and dreams that you gave to this young man. Today I will work a little harder at it.

Mouse I think your wife would love this site and enjoy the free twice-weekly newsletter.

http://www.painterskeys.com

Tue May 30, 03:31:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Benedict S. said...

CE: I have more dead than living friends, so know quite well the meaning of death. But the death of a young person ... hard to take.

I just wrote and sent an email in which I described the passing of a relatively young man I met in my arts and crafts store a decade ago. We shared the last name "Dixon," but there must have been something other than those five letters that led us into friendship. And just this morning I was caused to reflect on death by words in an internet news headline, something about the CBS news team member who was "critical" but hanging in there. I wondered about the irony of this one man's life getting more coverage than the deaths of any of the 30 or so who are killed every day in the same far country. I knew the answer, and it wasn't necessarily one that made us "look bad." My reflection was, as we say, "just a thought."

Despite Spinoza's heroic statement, "The free man thinks of nothing less than death," the idea of leaving this place before the bottom of the ninth -- or, in your young man's case, the second -- does not fill me with great courage. Life is dear, and for me to live is good. I object most strenuously to this new habit we have of "celebrating" a friend's passing. I know those mean well who celebrate "the loved one's life," but for my part I would just as soon be deeply grieved. It is impossible for me to imagine "celebrating" the loss of those I love.

John Sweden: Each time I read of a life being lived as you are living yours, the word "meaning" gets a meaning. There is something empowering to us all in watching or hearing of a brave man's actions in the face of need. What a pleasure to "see" you there, in another far country, doing what must be done by someone. Perhaps this is what Spinoza meant by those brave words, that the free man is so completely involved in living life at its highest point that thoughts of death can find no place to say themselves.

The trees are in the fullness of their greenery here. And the sun is well up.

I'm sure milady will love the site and the newsletter. We're going down to Charlottesville this afternoon for more brushes and paints. (How is it that I find in that thought something of the healing sort.)

Tue May 30, 06:11:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to offer are my sympathies For the loss.No-one I have ever known has passed young,so far.My 31y/o brother is lucky enough to not be in Iraq.

Tue May 30, 02:41:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej Mouse,

Take a trip overseas to this article in English newspaper the “Independent” this morning. It’s a good summing up by Chomsky on the issues we were discussing a few days ago.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article621899.ece

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. On a more romantic and philosophical level I would like to agree with Spinoza, but the reality of certain deaths paint a much different story.
It will take a little more of an explanation than I have time for right now and I promise to get back to you with it. For the moment though, I will offer the answer that has evolved and taken root over the years, “As a parent, I have lived one day longer than I should or cared to have”.

CE. Please extend my heartfelt empathy and sympathy to your friends.

Robin: I was just musing, not making a defense of doctoral dissertation.

Tue May 30, 11:30:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Benedict S. said...

Which story, John. Several appear there.

Wed May 31, 04:08:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry mouse there was a change in the page the story was printed on the 30th. Just go into the search box and type "chomsky" It will pull up a story "Why it's over for Ameica

Wed May 31, 05:15:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John(Sweden)Great article but nothing new for us that already believe America is on a downward fall.The only way to keep it going is to keep as close to war economy as possible. Ever notice you don't hear anything about the domestic
scene in the US anymore ? The war on poverty was lost, the war on
public health care was lost, the war on crime was lost, the war on
drugs was lost, the war on reform was lost, the war on equality was
lost, ... On every front that matters to the average US citizen this commander in cheif has led them to nothing but defeat.


Rome stopped being a Republic and became an Empire in part because the people of Rome no longer wished the burden of self-government, and the same thing is happening here. People are too busy with their own lives to worry about what the government is doing, and so by default they cede power to people who have a
vision of their own, and these people have both the skill and the power to make that vision a reality. Many of us, including myself, would have preferred not to have gotten involved, but having seen what we have seen, we just cannot ignore what's happening. There is still a flickering hope that we can take back what is ours, but that window of opportunity is closing fast. We must unite, and we must act. And we must remember what Lincoln said:

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disentrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we
pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope of Earth."

(original author unknown)

Wed May 31, 03:34:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Fri Jul 21, 03:22:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home